VT100 tools available for Suns

Glenn Roberts gfr at cobra.mitre.org
Wed May 17 06:13:57 AEST 1989

> sterritt%sdevax.decnet at crdgw1.ge.com (Chris Sterritt) writes:
> >SO, is there a package (ideally, of course, public-domain) that does good
> >vt100 emulation?  Where can we get it?

> PLEASE post replies as well - I would love to get hold of a vt100 emulator
> for Sun (at the moment I have to use a Zenith hooked up to a terminal line
> if I want to use a VAX from my Sun).

This seems to be another one of those "most asked questions in sun-spots.
I am aware of a number of vt100 emulators for Suns.  Since these come from
different sources some of them are undoubtedly either the same or
descended from the same program.

1. comp.sources.unix: vol 6., No 60-69 "VT100tool for Suns"

2. comp.sources.unix: vol 3, VTEM - termcap based VT100 emulator

3. VTTOOL and VTEM - from one of the Sun Users group tapes
  (sorry can't remember if it was '85 or '87 tape)

4. Sun's own "TE100tool" - this is the best implementation I know of, but
it's not free.  TE100tool includes VT100 graphics character capability
(supports all standard Sun fonts), ability to resize to 132 characters
wide, support for SET TERM/INQUIRE and nearly all other VT100 escape
sequences, and special ones added by Sun (I have a command in my LOGIN.COM
on each VAX makes use of a special escape sequence to set the name stripe
on the VT100 tool to that hosts's name), and support for the  VT100 keypad
and scroll/noscroll features.  Early versions of TE100tool (used to be
called VT100tool) had some bugs (e.g.  if you control-C out of a TYPE/PAGE
command on a VAX the display was locked in 25th line mode) but the current
release seems to be very clean.  It is suppored on all Sun platforms as
far as I know.

- Glenn Roberts, The MITRE Corp., McLean VA (703) 883-6820
  gfr at cobra.mitre.org

[[ I've saved this response in my growing directory of "answers to most
commonly asked questions".  --wnl ]]