Why are new Suns thick Ethernet only?

Jim Rudolf rudolf at oce.orst.edu
Sat May 6 21:22:49 AEST 1989

We were introduced to the new Sun products last week, and I was surprised
to find that all new CPUs will only have thick Ethernet connectors.  OK, I
agree with going with only 1 port.  It means not having to mess with
jumper cables.  But why thick?!?  Everybody seems to have problems with
the thick connectors coming off, and if your workstation is up against the
wall, the cables get torqued, increasing the chance of the connector
coming off.  Thin-net seems to me to be an obvious advantage.  It stays
on, it doesn't require as much free space between the back wall and the
workstation, and it's much easier to string through false ceilings! :-)

Can anyone clue me in to the reason why Sun chose to go this way?
I'm clueless.

Jim Rudolf

Internet: rudolf at oce.orst.edu                 "All opinions herein are mine"
UUCP: {tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!oce.orst.edu!rudolf