"ar" filename length restriction

Dean Grover ird grover at sed170.hac.com
Sun May 7 01:01:51 AEST 1989

Has anyone else noticed that ar truncates all filenames to 15 characters
??  This is not a major problem for me, but I have 50 or so files, some of
which are 20-30 characters long.  I have truncated them so that they work
nicely with ar, but wouldn't it be nice if then extended the filename
length to 255 ?  I understand that System V has a 15 character filename
restriction, but SunOS allows 255.  How many other BSD utilities are there
out there with support for less than 255 character filenames ?  I believe
tar is another example; something like 100 characters for full path ?

Thanks,
Dean Grover
adgrover at hac2arpa.hac.com or grover at sed170.hac.com
Hughes Aircraft Co.