talkd incompatibilities

Dan Davison dbd%benden at lanl.gov
Fri May 12 00:36:39 AEST 1989

The reason for the incompatible talk programs is that 3.x systems use the
4.2 talkd and 4.x uses the 4.3 BSD talkd.  The incompatibilities are
documented in the 4.3 System Manager's guide, I think.

I have confirmed this "talk"ing with some friends at Harvard and
Berserkley from 3.5 and 4.0 systems.  If they run 4.2 BSD I can "talk"
with them from 3.5 but not 4.0, and if they are running 4.3 BSD I can
"talk with them on a 4.0 system but not from a 3.5 system.  After I
noticed that I went and read the Berserkely docs and found the note.

If you need chapter and verse on this let me know and I will look thru the
docs again.  I pretty sure it wasn't on the man page, though.

dan davison
theoretical biology and biophysics
t-10 ms k710
los alamos national laboratory