changes to SCSI drivers from 3.4 to 4.0

Ian Darwin ian at sq.sq.com
Wed May 10 17:15:22 AEST 1989

>Messing with the SCSI stuff has always been difficult, because Sun's "open
>systems" policy apparently doesn't extend to the addition of new SCSI
>devices -- there's no documentation I can find about the structure of how
>SCSI devices work...

[Henry's and Geoff's comments about "open systems for open wallets" deleted]

Funny you should raise this:

"As part of Sun's continuing efforts to enhance SunOS, SPARCstation 1
incorporates a new SCSI driver. This driver supports a more consistent set
of SCSI operations, thereby simplifying the addition of new SCSI devices
to the system. Equally important is the support for synchronous SCSI for
high-speed data transfers." -- from an article on the design of the 4/110
(SPARCstation 1, a name that puts me in mind of a spark-station), by
Bechtolsheim et al in Sun Technology, Spring 1989, page 53.

They talk about revised documentation too, but don't specifically mention
documenting the SCSI driver.