memory expansion for 3/50

lad sdl!lad!lad at uunet.uu.net
Wed May 17 01:57:36 AEST 1989

> I'm looking for information on people's experience with memory
> expansion kits for the 3/50, especially those that are easily
> removed...
> Any info would be appreciated; I'll summarize to the digest.

I had orders in earlier this year for 15 Clearpoint Memory upgrades for
the 3/50.  We have all dimple-top 50's, and Sun only offered 3/50 to 3/60
upgrades for flat top machines.  Well, when Sun announced the upgrade path
for dimple-tops I jumped on it. I bought the 3/60 4meg version for $2850.
each and bought and additional 4megs of Clearpoint memory for each upgrade
for $210/MB.  I figure it cost me an additional $1100. over what I would
have spent on just the memory for the 3/50, but you get:

	. a more powerful CPU (20MHz vs 16MHz)
	. a faster FPU too
	. the possibility of COLOR (NEVER possible on a 3/50)
	. and a new warranty on the CPU.

The Sun upgrade was best for us overall based on price, performance,
warranty, and support.  The Clearpoint memory isn't bad, in fact, Judy
Langley at Clearpoint sent me a 3/50 memory upgrade to try out, and it
worked great.  But I felt the additional money spent getting a Sun
solution was money better spent.  Now I have 18 'new' 3/60M-8's instead of
18 3/50's with mor memory.

         Lawrence A. Deleski             |       Silicon Compiler Systems
         uunet!sdl!lad                   |       15 Independence Blvd.
         Cash-We-Serve 76127,104         |       Warren, NJ 07060
         MABELL:  (201) 580-0102         |       Ext. 283