How do I ls or du local "/" partition

David L. Kensiski 929-8844 sacto!mmsac!cygnus!david at sun.com
Thu May 11 16:54:00 AEST 1989

hamilton at aztec.osbusouth.xerox.com (Bruce Hamilton) asks:
> Each machine has a partition called "/".  How do I list what's there?

You can mount the root partition on a different machine.  An nfs mount
does not propogate if the filesystem is mounted on another machine.  This
lets "du" and "ls -R", for example, list only the root partition.  On the
remote machine:

	mkdir /mnt
	mount host:/ /mnt
	du mnt

Naturally, you have to be root on the remote machine to use the mount
command.  I'm not sure if this is the easiest way, but it works as long as
the machine in question is exporting /.

David L. Kensiski                          1772 Tribute Road
Martin Marietta Data Systems               Sacramento, CA 95815
UUCP: uunet.uu.com!mmsac!david             VOICE: (916) 929-8844
UUCP: sun.com!sacto!mmsac!david