share with automount, sunos4.0.1

Ron Stanonik stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil
Wed May 3 20:27:32 AEST 1989

I've been trying to use /vol, but ran into a snag with sharing stuff
between architectures.

The map for /vol looks like
trcf	atlantic:/usr/trcf:$ARCH

On atlantic /usr/trcf contains
	sun3/{bin,lib,man}
	sun4/{bin,lib,man}
	sun386/{bin,lib,man}

So, anyone automounting sees /vol/trcf/{bin,lib,man}

Well, there's no sense duplicating man, since it's not architecture
dependent.  What I'd really like on atlantic in /usr/trcf is
	sun3/{bin,lib}
	sun4/{bin,lib}
	sun386/{bin,lib}
	man

And I'd still like anyone automounting to see /vol/trcf/{bin,lib,man},
but I can't seem to use the $ARCH feature of mapping and still share
man.  (Oh, I could not automount /vol, but instead automount /vol/trcf
and have a trcf map like
man	atlantic:/usr/trcf:man
*	atlantic:/usr/trcf:$ARCH/&
but I want to do something similar for other volumes, so I'd end
up with a map for each.  Sigh.)

One thought was to get sneaky, automount /vol with the map
trcf	atlantic:/usr/trcf:$ARCH

But atlantic:/usr/trcf would contain
	sun3/{bin,lib,man}
	sun4/{bin,lib,man}
	sun386/{bin,lib,man}
	man

Where man in each of the architecture subdirectories was a symlink to
../man.  Since atlantic:/usr/trcf is what really gets mounted, ../man
would sneak back up and get the shared man.  This works fine on sun4's,
but the sun386's (also sunos4.0.1) don't just symlink to the subdirectory,
they loopback mount in /tmp_mnt and symlink that.  Ugh!

There is no moral to this story.

Ron Stanonik
stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil