NIT sockets: how do you write to 'em?

Jeff Stearns jeff at tc.fluke.com
Wed May 3 17:24:51 AEST 1989

I'm running SunOS 4.0.1.  I'm playing with NIT sockets, trying to speak a
foreign protocol (Apple EtherTalk).

I have no trouble reading my packets off the wire, but I can't figure how
to *send* packets.  The NIT socket keeps refusing my sendto() with
errno=ENOTSOCK.

Does anybody have an example of how to send data out via a nit stream socket?

P.S. Yes, I know that it works under SunOS 3.x; my problems began with the
change to Streams.  I've also tried raw sockets, but can't seem to create
one suffieiently low-level that I can specify *all* the bits including the
type/length field.

    Jeff Stearns        John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.               (206) 356-5064
    jeff at tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!jeff

PS - Calling all users of the Vitalink TransLAN IV Ethernet bridge! Please
     drop me a line.