rsh screendump | screenload

stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil
Fri Oct 27 05:21:00 AEST 1989

We're running sunos 4.0.1 on sun3's and sun386's.

Probably this isn't news, but we just realized that if you can rsh to
another sun, then you can view the screen with "rsh host screendump |
screenload".  Might need a rasfilter8to1 if the victim has color and you
don't.

This seems as if it has the potential for being a problem; ie, snatching
glimpses of other folks' consoles.  Maybe it's no worse than just
wandering into their office for look.

I'm surprised init (sunview?) doesn't chown /dev/fb(?) to the person
logged at the console and then chmod 600, similar to how tty's are
handled.

Ron Stanonik
stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil