out of virtual memory?

Scott Reed vicorp!scott at uunet.uu.net
Fri Oct 6 00:01:59 AEST 1989

kam at titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Katherine Minister Hosch) writes:
>/home/titan/kam/fsats/test.a, line 11, char 15:fatal: Operating system denied v\irtual memory expansion to 6420479
>Has anyone ever seen/heard of running out of virtual memory? ...

I think you can run out of virtual memory when your swap space is
depleted.  I've been having my swap space gobbled up by perfmeters and
calentool when they're left running for a day or two. I'm no SunOS expert
and haven't a clue why this happens. Noone else has been able to tell me
why either. When I run out of memory, I run "top" to see who's using it
up.