imagetool under SunOS 4.0.3

Administration adm at artemis.drexel.edu
Wed Oct 25 02:24:39 AEST 1989

I would like to thank all of those people who responded to my question
about imagetool under SunOS 4.0.3.  I won't mention them all here, but I
will thank particularly those who supplied me with the first explanation
of what is happening (Henry McGilton from Sun) and the first idiot-useful
translation of that explanation (Thomas Reed at U. of Hawaii).  The
problem stems, apparently, from the difference in the new pixrect library
under 4.x.  According to Mr. McGilton:

The problem you are having is almost certainly due to the new pixrect
library.  In SunOs 4.0, the way that pixrects are done in memory changed
from the 3.x versions.

In 3.x, pixrects were padded to 16 bits always.

In 4.x, pixrects are:

	o  either 16 bits, or,
	o  padded to a multiple of 32 bits.

Also, according to Mr. McGilton, this is documented on page 53 of the new
pixrects manual, although not very well.  Now, all this is fine and good,
but fairly meaningless unless I know how to make it all work.  The
'translation' of this, as provided by Mr. Reed, is as follows:

...The problem lay in the fact that sunview punts if the image x dimension
is not evenly divisible by 4.

This jibes well with the technical explanation, as I knew that under the
old OS (with 16-bit pixrects) the x-dimension had to be divisible by 2.
Now, with 32-bit pixrects, the x-dimension must apparently be divisible by
4!  I tried it, it worked.  Thanks again!