looking for PATH PASCAL running on SUN or SOLBOURNE

boulder!foobar!grunwald at ncar.ucar.edu boulder!foobar!grunwald at ncar.ucar.edu
Fri Oct 20 01:37:41 AEST 1989

Hi, I wrote the version of ppc that was derived from the berkeley pascal
compiler.

Ppc depends on the Berkeley Pascal, which uses a commen code generator.
In 4.3BSD, this code generator was shared by f77 & pc; that's what /lib/f1
is.

In addition to this, there are internal changes to the source for ppc that
would need to be made for a different architecture. I don't remember where
all the stuff is, but if you look for symbols like m68k and/or vax, you'll
probably find the #ifdefs that are needed.

You'll also have to change the runtime library & the context switching
routines. All of this is non-trivial. It would probably take about 2 weeks
or a month if you have /lib/f1 working.

Unless you really need path pascal, another alternative is to use an
extensible language like C++ with a tasking library. I had planned on
writing a PathExpression class, but haven't had the time yet. It's fairly
simple to translate the path notation into P & V's.

Someone at UIUC did this using a pre-processor for C++ -- His extensions
generated code for each class member function mentioned in the path, just
like Path Pascal.  You might contact roy at cs.uiuc.edu (Roy Campbell) to see
who did this work & if it's still available.

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu)