CDC Wren IV, 4.0.3 and format

William D. Shoaff wds at tuck.fit.edu
Sat Oct 7 00:12:33 AEST 1989

We have experienced problems trying to format a CDC Wren IV 94171-344
under 4.0.3 on a Sun 3/50.  We went with the info in the format.dat file,
not changing anything.  When we ran format, it said the disk was
formatted, but no defect list was found, using original we committed the
manufacturer's list, and decided to label the drive (it was supposely
formatted).  Label failed with write errors on cyl 1546.  We then decided
we had better format it, but it hung on the verify pass.

Having experienced similar problems with a Wren V, we took the drive
upstairs to a 3.5 machine, where we succeeded in formatting and creating
file systems, but only after dropping back to about 1400 cyls.  Brought
the drive back to the 4.0.3 machine and tried fsck.  No luck!

Any ideas what we did wrong?  More importantly, any ideas on how to get
the drive working?  Thanks in advance.

wds at zach.fit.edu
William D. Shoaff
Dept. of Computer Science