SMD on the SPARCstation

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Tue Oct 24 01:12:56 AEST 1989

In article <2274 at brazos.Rice.edu> lll-lcc!rzh at uunet.uu.net (Roger Hanscom) writes:

>Here's an interesting comment I picked up the other day.  A third party
>peripherals vendor claimed to have put one of the new 1Gbyte SMD drives
>from CDC on a 753 controller and plugged it into a SPARCstation.  Sun says
>it won't work, but he said it would (is Sun trying to push IPI instead??).
>The 753 controller is "splashed" on full sized VME boards, and can be had
>in a much smaller version that will fit in the "pizza box".  Comments
>anyone??

He probably meant a Sparcstation-330. This system has 3 standard 9u VME
slots, 2 6u VME slots, and 2 3u slots dedicated for memory expansion. The
XY753 comes in a 6u VME package. Basically plugging the 753 into a 6u slot
works except for the following problems.

1.  The cardcage does not meet VME specs as to the size and spacing of the
boards. There may be some physical problems.

2.  The power supply only supplies 500ma on the -12v line, the 753
requires at least this much. It may work, it may not. If you have 2 drives
or fewer connected, it might work.

I have heard that Sun is working on addressing these problems. I don't
know when they will be fixed though.

Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110