Some Sun Bugs.

mills at ccu.umanitoba.ca mills at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Thu Oct 19 02:16:00 AEST 1989

>4: If you attempt to run a terminfo-based program, be aware that there is
>a problem with approximately 100 of the terminfo definitions shipped with
>SunOS 4.0.?  If these defective terminfo entries are referenced, they will
>cause the program to core dump.  As best as I can determine, the problem
>is with tic (the terminfo compiler) as I was once able to compile a custom

I have discovered that the core dump is triggered by the presence of the
`rmacs' capability (exit alternate charset mode) in the compiled terminfo
file.  The file itself is not corrupted, but is correctly formatted by
tic, according to term(4).  BTW, this man page is not included with the
Sun SysV option.  I found it on another Unix system.  I wrote a program to
edit the compiled terminfo files and remove the `rmacs' and `smacs'
capabilities.  This eliminated the core dump.  Infocmp, tput, etc. all
work now.  This is superior to rebuilding the terminfo files from termcap
entries, because terminfo is supposed to have more capabilities.

-Gary Mills-             -University of Manitoba-             -Winnipeg-