SunOS talk protocol

Markie sparky!tinguely at uunet.uu.net
Mon Oct 2 10:47:19 AEST 1989

In article <1784 at brazos.Rice.edu> barmar at think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:

>Is there any documentation for the protocol used by talk/talkd in SunOS
>4.0.3.

Sun OS uses the old talk protocol used with BSD 4.2, where the talk and
talkd sources on uunet.uu.net (/bsd-sources/src/network/talk[d].tar.Z) is
the 4.3 talk protocol (called ntalk in the inetd.conf). I wish Sun
(Sequent, Encore and other BSD 4.2 based OS vendors) would update to the
4.3 networking programs, so we don't need to keep two protocols. The 4.3
programs may need the talk.h in the include directory.

Mark Tinguely           North Dakota State University,  Fargo, ND  58105
  UUCP:       		...!uunet!ndsuvax!nctingue
  BITNET:      		nctingue at ndsuvax.bitnet
  INTERNET:   		nctingue at plains.NoDak.edu