Fonts in Transcript

bin at primate.wisc.edu bin at primate.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 20 02:07:14 AEST 1989

In article <2206 at brazos.Rice.edu>, by rsalz at bbn.com (Rich Salz):
> Does xroff use it's own version of troff?

It uses data structures that are slightly different than the standard
ones.  This is a real headache when you're trying to crack its font
tables.  In the particular case of xroff for Xerox 2700 printers, the
files containing the font bitmaps are set up differently than I would have
been led to expect from, e.g., dvix27, and from examining a real Xerox
downloadable font, too.  I'm not sure exactly how and why these work, but
they do.  I conjecture that Image Network perhaps "broke" things in
slightly incompatible ways to throw people off the trail.

Paul DuBois
dubois at primate.wisc.edu