memory for 3/80

phil at eecs.nwu.edu phil at eecs.nwu.edu
Fri Sep 1 01:00:03 AEST 1989

Along the lines of cheap SIMM memory.....we just purchased 25 1 megabyte
SIMM cards to use in our cluster of 386i machines.  The guy planning the
purchase did some looking and found a company that was selling them for
$129 each.  The catch was, they were advertised for use in Macintosh
machines and NOT for Suns.  (He said he saw some advertised for less, but
that this company's ad was larger---I don't know why that influenced him).
So we made sure that there was a no-cost return policy in case they didn't
work and we tried them out.

They are 1 megabit by 9, 80 nanoseconds.  And they appear to work.  We've
had one machine using them since Friday and I just upgraded the other 5
yesterday afternoon.

The company is Technology Works Industries, Inc.  4030 Braker Lane West,
Suite 350, Austin, TX 78759.  Phnum: (800) 622-2210.  But I suspect that
any SIMM package that is 1 megabit by 9, low profile, and at least 80
nanoseconds will work in any of the Suns (make sure they have a moneyback
guarantee just in case).  Just think, a 4 meg upgrade for just over
$500!!!

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil at eecs.nwu.edu>