tip hang on exit FIX

capmkt!bandy at uunet.uu.net capmkt!bandy at uunet.uu.net
Sat Sep 30 08:49:47 AEST 1989

I've heard of this bug surfacing at a few other sites, so I thought I
would share a new-found solution - it's worked the one and only time I
tried it - with everyone.

Synopsis:

Sometimes tip will get hung up <exiting> when you close the connection.
This is a non-repeatable error so we can't get Sun to pay much attention
to it.  Sometimes it will happen to you multiple times in a day, sometimes
it won't happen for weeks.  When it does happen, it currently requires a
reboot in order to get the modem line back.

"ofiles" would show the process hanging.  It would pay no attention to
signals [why should it, it's exiting].  It used to be that under SunOS
3.5, that power-cycling the modem that the tip was attached to would clear
the problem.  When we migrated to SunOS 4.0.3, this solution no longer
worked.

Today, when I was fooling around, I tried the following sequence:

    % gcore 18785
    gcore: 18785 exiting - not dumped
    % dbx /usr/bin/tip 18785
    Reading symbolic information...
    Read 290 symbols
    Could not attach to process 18785
    (dbx) quit
    % ps axl18785
          F UID   PID  PPID CP PRI NI  SZ  RSS WCHAN    STAT TT  TIME COMMAND
    %

I scratched my head for a few moments and decided that it was really
gone [I could tip to it and dial up to it].

I hope that other folks can use this information.

	andrew scott beals
	capital market technology
	+1 415 540 6400
	bandy at capmkt.com