Sun3/80 booting problem

Kerien Fitzpatrick fitz at frc2.frc.ri.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 15 13:18:21 AEST 1989

I'm posting this in case others experienced the same problem that I had
booting our diskless 3/80s.  When I tried booting our 3/80s from
customized kernels, the boot process would hang after vmunix had loaded
and the 3/80 was trying to get its domain, etc.  When I called 800 USA
4SUN they told me that the only workaround was to do a "b -a" and enter
the appropriate information.

I finally got around to trying the following and it does work in my
environment and seems to be a better workaround.  When creating a custom
kernel from say the DL80 example.  Edit the root on nfs to say swap
generic.  Using this kernel allows the 3/80 to boot just fine - might be a
problem if you have a local disk with a b partition that you don't want to
use as a swap partition.

Sorry if this is a repeat or if Sun has provided another workaround that
is better.  I was getting quite tired of filling in the minimum info
required when doing a "b -a".

Kerien Fitzpatrick
Field Robotics Center
The Robotics Institute