Using floppies as Unix FS on Sparc1

Brian R. Smith brsmith at umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU
Sun Sep 17 15:20:05 AEST 1989

We (U of MN Computer Science) just got 12 SparcStation 1's, all with
floppy drives.  I read through the documentation - what I could anyhow -
and I couldn't find any mention of HOW to use them as Unix filesystems.
Is there any?  (Somehow, the concept of using a floppy as a tape offends
me deep down inside...)

Anyhow, after some guidance from a Sun Wiz, I've seen it work.  Just
fdformat, newfs, and mount.  But what if you don't have root perms?  You
can't do the mount.

I spent this afternoon banging together a suid-root program that will do
the mount for our normal users.  It takes care of checking the read/write
status of the drive, fsck'ing the disk, and finally mounting it nosuid.
There may be a security hole or two that I've missed, so I'd be interested
in seeing anyone else's attempts.  (On the other hand, if you want the
source to mine, drop me a line.)

Brian