The SUN is setting!!

Gregory Miller gam at cvedc.prime.com
Thu Sep 28 03:00:06 AEST 1989

Dear Sunspots:

Recently Chuck Williams of Contel Federal Systems contributed:

>As I'm sure most of you have seen in the press, Sun is trying to sell off
>their 386i line of hardware. Well, in addition to that they are also
>rumored to be planning the end of the entire SUN3 line and any non-SPARC
>SUN4 machine by December 31!!! In addition, lead times for some of these
>machines have jumped to 240+ days!!

I too read this vicious rumor in EE-Times' (#556 18th, September 89) cover
story.  Before we all fall victim to typical journalism, let me add some
additional fact.

I too read (with rage) the story regarding the 386i.  While we are not
considering the 386i for our ECAE software (at this point), the law school
I attended here (Portland, OR.) *does* use the 386i and has made a
commitment to that platform for faculty research, C.A.I., and Expert
systems development.  To quote my response to Sun when I initially called
for the story would not add constructively to this. %-|

However, Sun Microsystems (Portland office ...sun!nosun!bjones) assured me
they were equally astonished to see the article and likened it to yellow
journalism.  I have received assurances from Sun that a letter is
forthcoming from VP Marketing and VP Engineering of Sun-East verifying
their commitment to the 386i.

According to Sun officials I talked to, apparently, Sun *did* explore stwo
alternatives:

	A) sell off the 386i line and its progeny
	B) commit to the 386i line

In other words, fish or cut bait.  Some discussion was had with Intel, but
the EE-Times article is out of date.  The discussion lead no where, and
Sun decided to commit to the 386i as a strategy.  While I cannot go into
it, let me assure you that under non-disclosure preview of future product
plans, I have seen what appears to be a commitment to the x86i line.

The 386i is basically a strategy product designed to migrate high-end DOS
type PC users to workstations.  I think it is well settled that the DOS
emulation under the 386i is a better solution than DOS under SPARCstation.
It is my understanding that Sun is not too concerned with the ultimate
success of the x86i line against SPARC or 680x0; that is, market
penetration is narrowly defined.

Here is an excerpt of Sun's recent mail to me:

>>From: nosun!bob (Bob Jones - PDX Sales)
>>To: gam at cvedc.prime.com
>>Subject: Re:  386i Rumors
>>
>>Greg
>>
>>Just received my reply from the V-P Mktg. The official disclaimer is
>>couched in "irresponsible speculation" language and a re-affirmation
>>of our commitment to the Intel architecture... its now on the streets
>>from the V.P. Marketing and the V.P. Engineering and references Scott's
>>(McNealy) comments.
>>
>>How would you like me to get a copy of this in your hands - I can leave
>>your copy with Sue at the front desk or send it thru the mail if you like.
>>
>>Regards, Bob.

Now while this is not a guarantee, I have no reason to distrust Sun or Bob
Jones' honesty.  I will say it is shame to me that I (wrongly) believed
that the integrity of EE-Times reporting was second to none.  Why they dug
this up (or from where) I don't know.

However, rather than reacting, we should be responding.  Asking Sun for
the *straight* story is best.  They cannot afford to start being
dishonest. A simple "no-comment" is usually enough said.

As to the other rumors, I suggest before we fall victim to the
journalists, lets ask where the rumors come from, and run down a source
before we blindly advance them.  The thought of Sun ousting the Sun3 Sun4
lines is border-line absurd (at this point).

And as to 240 days, geez, I'm glad I'm not stuck with Chuck's salesman,
and I do feel sorry for him.  The worst wait we've had is 1/3rd of that or
90 days.  Again, is the lead time a rumor? According to who? For what
machine (specifically)? On what quantity basis? For how large of a
customer? And on what financing terms?

I say, let's all take a deep breath and respond by asking questions,
before we overreact and electronically paper the world with perpetuating
rumors.  Sun is not without fault, but society has a history of crucifying
before all the facts are clarified. :-)

-Good Luck
-My two cents worth

Gregory Miller
Technical Staff
Prime Computer ECAE Software		uucp:	  .....sun!nosun!cvedc!gam
Beaverton, OR  97006			Internet: gmiller at cvbnet.prime.com
-also-
Northwest Computer Law Center
Lewis & Clark Northwestern School of Law
Portland, OR  97219