How does one copy a SCSI tape ?

Neil Todd neil at stl.stc.co.uk
Sat Sep 2 02:16:44 AEST 1989

In article <1080 at brazos.Rice.edu> harvard!cloud9.Stratus.COM!fmbutt at ursa-major.spdcc.com (Farooq Butt) writes:
:
: You have an OS tape. You wish to copy it for safekeeping. You use "dd" but
: it doesn't seem to work.  What is a good way to duplicate OS release
: tapes.  Again, I reiterate, this copying is merely for safekeeping as
: tapes tend to get chewed up at our site ....

Don't forget that there are multiple files on the distribution tape, the
Sun documentation gives your the layout - to use non rewinding tapes for
input and output. Then do a "mt -f /dev/devicename rew" when done.

You should try using the high density tape (/dev/nrst8 if cart, /dev/nrmt8
if tape), and a sensible (small) blocking factor. Continue to use "dd".

Neil Todd			| ..In general, it is best to assume that the
PSI%234237100122::neil		| network is filled with malevolent entities
neil at gid.co.uk			| that will send in packets designed to have
Group-ID Ltd			| the worst possible effect...