68881 Floating Point Speed Increase on Sun 3/60

iis!prl at uunet.uu.net iis!prl at uunet.uu.net
Tue Sep 26 19:10:44 AEST 1989

>From iis!prl Tue Sep 26 10:09:59 MET 1989 remote from ethz

There was a fundamental error in part of my earlier reply to this message.
rwl at umree.ee.umr.edu (Wayne Little) suggests compiling:

> f77 -c -f68881 code.c -O code /usr/lib/68881/libm.il
                     ^^ I don't know why I saw this and
  ^^^ not this.

For code.f files, using the inline library *will* improve code performance
by placing code inline without changing the essentials of the
implementation.

What I said about the poor performance of the Sun3 C library holds, though.

Peter Lamb				uucp:  uunet!mcvax!ethz!prl
Tel: (01) 256 5241 (Switzerland)	eunet: prl at iis.ethz.ch
     +411 256 5241 (International)

Integrated Systems Laboratory
ETH-Zentrum