tip ~p escape in a shell script

James F Bond-Harris jimx at ihlpy.att.com
Thu Sep 7 06:50:17 AEST 1989

I am trying to write a shell script to allow me to send a file
from my Sun 3/60 up to a remote machine for printing.  I have
been using tip as my terminal emulator, having no other at the
time.  What I am trying to do is:

	#! /bin/sh
	if [ $# -ne 1 ]
	then
		echo "usage:  rpr filename"
		exit
	fi
	~p $1 %HOME/tmp
	(printing  command) $1
	rm $HOME/tmp/$1

The problem is that the ~p escape is interpretted by sh, and
it complains that it cannot find anything like ~p.  The manual
page doesn't seem to say anything about using the escapes in
a shell script, only that tip looks for them at the start of
new lines.  Is there any way to have the escapes work inside
the script, or am I stuck with doing things manually?  Or is
there some other way that I (obviously:) haven't heard of?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Bond-Harris
ihlpy!jimx