ftp bombs with shell other than c*sh

Gordon C. Galligher gorpong at telxon.uu.net
Sat Sep 2 08:39:43 AEST 1989

In article <1090 at brazos.Rice.edu> jes at mbio.med.upenn.edu (Joe Smith) writes:

>Does ftp reject logins when the user's login shell isn't csh or sh?  Can
>other shells be certified as acceptable for ftp?
>
>We're experiencing the problem with (GNU) bash as the login shell on a
>3/140 running SunOS 4.0.

Joe,

Be sure to include the line "/bin/bash" (or whatever your shells are) in
the file /etc/shells.  The format is one shell per line, full path name.
It is used by chsh (passwd -s) and ftpd to make sure that you want to give
yourself/log into a valid shell.

		-- Gordon.

Gordon C. Galligher  <|> ...!uunet!telxon!gorpong <|> gorpong at telxon.uu.net
Telxon Corporation   <|> "What are ya standin' around for?  Don't ya know
Akron, Ohio, 44313   <|>  a Jail Break when ya see one?" - Scotty
(216) 867-3700 (3512)<|>         Star Trek V:  The Final Frontier