window based file picker with extensions

Bill Selig - SysAdmin selig at xanth.msfc.nasa.gov
Sat Sep 30 00:32:22 AEST 1989

Here is some code that I submitted quite some time ago, but it must have
gotten lost. Anyway, I wrote this to be able do do some common operation
on a bunch of normally unrelated files. Thus, one can do

  	rm `pick`

and pick will pass back all of the chosen filen names to appear on the
command line. I also end up using pick to browse a directory. I ended up
adding extensions to look at files and also delete them in the tool
itself.  I plan on doing various extension to enhance the features and to
remove a few inconveniences when I get the time, but this has been so
useful to me that I wanted to make a return contribution to the net as
partial repayment for the code and answers I've received in the past.
Note: pick works under both 3.x and 4. Feedback on problems, fixes or
suggested improvements requested.

Here is the man page, code following in a shar file:

  NAME
       pick - windowed file picker with extended features

  SYNOPSIS
       pick [ -a ] [ -r num ] [ -F y|n ] [ directory ]

  DESCRIPTION
       Pick provides a popup window which allows the user to choose
       files from a directory listing. The most obvious application
       of this is to choose some  non-pattern-associated  group  of
       files for operation via some unix command.

       If directory is not specified, the current working directory
       is  assumed.  The directory name is listed both in the frame
       label and in the popup window itself.  A  "Done"  button  is
       provided  to signify completion. Clicking on this will cause
       the chosen filenames to be sent  to the standard output. Two
       other  buttons are provided to choose all files and to reset
       all files to not chosen.

       The files in the chosen directory are listed in multi-column
       format  if  necessary  and  may  be toggle chosen via a left
       mouse click.  The files  '.'  and  '..'  are  never  listed.
       Other  'dot'  files  are  by  default not listed (see the -a
       option ).

  OPTIONS
       -a   Allows display of 'dot' files.

       -r num
            Specifies that the listing be formatted as  columns  of
            num of rows per column.  The default is 20.

       -F y|n
            If y is specified, mark  directories  with  a  trailing
            slash   (`/'),  executable   files   with   a  trailing
            asterisk (`*'), symbolic links  with  a  trailing   at-
            sign   (`@'),   and   AF UNIX  address  family  sockets
            with  a  trailing equals sign (`='). If n is specified,
            use no trailing marks. The default is y.

  EXTENDED FEATURES
       CLicking the right mouse button on a file entry brings up  a
       menu with the choices View, Edit, Delete and ChDir.

       View Brings up a TEXTSW window containing the file if it  is
            a  regular file (e.g. not a directory) and the user has
            read permission for it. This  window  has  had  editing
            options disabled. This is the default menu choice.

       Edit Brings up the file similarly but  in  a  TEXTSW  window
            with  editing  options enabled. The user must also have
            write permission for the file.

            Deletes the file and removes it from the pick window if
            it  is  not a directory and the user has the permission
            to do so. There is no delete confirmation.

       ChDir
            Executes a system call to pick with the  chosen  direc-
            tory.  This new window will overlay the old. All opera-
            tions in the new window must be carried out before  the
            calling window may be used again.

Ed's Note: FTP/Archive Server information:
           Site: titan.rice.edu
           Dir : sun-source
           File: pick.shar

  US MAIL:        Bill Selig NASA/MSFC ES53
                  Huntsville, Al 35812 USA
  TPC:            (205)-544-7608
  FTS:            824-7608

  SPAN:           sam::selig
  INTERNET:       selig at xanth.msfc.nasa.gov [128.158.1.31]
                  selig%sam.span at fedex.msfc.nasa.gov
  BITNET:         selig%sam.span at star.stanford.edu
  UUCP:           uunet!selig at sam.SPAN  -OR-  uunet!sam.span!selig