Micro 1588 - Sun 4/110 Install Problem

David Pipes pipes at nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 19 05:04:13 AEST 1989

I posted a question about this several weeks ago, and am still looking for
help.  Thanks to all who have responded so far...My mailer won't talk to
most of you.

The situation is this:  I have a Micropolis 1588 to add to a Sun 4/110.
The 4/110 has a SCSI shoebox already, with a cartridge and sd0, the
existing 327MB drive.  I need to add the new, 760MB (640MB formatted) as
sd1.

I have added the device files and scrupulously followed the Sun
installation instructions.  I have added the format info to format.dat ( I
am running 4.0).  I have cabled the new drive in between the CPU and the
shoebox.  The terminator is removed from the new drive, and should be
present in the old, as that was the only drive previously.  The new drive
is jumpered to be sd1.

When the system boots, it boots from sd0, indicating that the cables are
good.  The boot reports the new drive (as sd2, although I am told this is
normal), and procedes to give the header info, whether or not it is
present in format.dat (I have tried it both ways).

When I run format, one of two things happens.  Sometimes it will report
only sd0 and proceed merrily on its' way.  More often, it will spit out 4
messages indicating that it received several unknown signals (interrupts?)
and then wait.  After the wait, it gives a SDTIMEOUT, citing a MSG_IN (or
something similar) and hangs the machine.

Has anyone successfully installed this drive on this type of machine under
SunOS 4.0?  Failing that, any ideas as to what I can do to get this guy
up?  I have tried varying the id jumper, various format.dat additions,
checked the power supply, swapped the internal cables and even tried a
second, new drive.  All of these changes produced the above results.  The
vendor, manufacturer and SUN all say I should have no problem with
this...what gives?

| EMail: pipes at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov                David Pipes |
| Vox: (301) 286-2248                                 X X X    |
| Message contains only my opinions.                 =======   |
| "French is sort of the lingua franca of Europe..." =======   |