Creating RAM disk on SUNs??

Jeff Weber ginosko!cg-atla!weber at uunet.uu.net
Mon Sep 25 23:38:17 AEST 1989

In article <1636 at brazos.Rice.edu> you write:

>Has anyone out there created a RAM disk on a Sun, or know if anyone has
>already done so, or know where to look to get started?

We put a small local swap disk (lsd) on a bunch of our 3/50 and 3/60
clients that we networked.  It really helped.  Details available if this
story applies.....

We also put a 40MB RAM Disk on a 386i to be used as swap disk.  This
helped but was MUCH more expensive then the above hard disk.  I'm not sure
that putting an actual RAM disk on the SCSI bus makes too much sense.  The
disk is real fast (memory speeds) but the bus is real slow (by
comparsion).  More system memory is the more cost effective method if
there's room.

I can send you more info about either if they sound like what you're
after.

						Jeff Weber