Symbolics co-processor board for the Sparcstation-1 ?

Eric Ho eho at clarity.princeton.edu
Tue Sep 5 06:10:52 AEST 1989

Having seen Symbolics' recent ad about their co-processor board for the
Suns I'm wondering if anyone at Symbolics is developing similiar stuff for
the pizzabox (Sparcstation-1) ?  It would be nice if Symbolics can find a
way to use existing memory on the Suns rather than using their own tagged
memory -- it all depends on how the Sun "sees" the co-processor board and
how the board is used I guess.  I mean, those who are opting for the
co-processor boards might already have quite a bit of memory stuffed on
their desktop and it is a bad idea I guess if that can't be used by the
co-processor board.  Without the 10 meg of RAM on the co-processor board I
think that the price for the board (& the developement system) may drop
quite a bit -- I mean, it is ridiculous to move (or buy) a 3 mips deskside
3/160 and buy a $21K co-processor board into your office when you already
got a less than $9K 8~16meg 13 mips pizzabox with on your desk -- it just
doesn't make sense (especially when the board is more expensive than a
deskside unit let alone the pizzabox).

Eric Ho
Cognitive Science Lab.,		Princeton University
voice = 609-987-2987		email = eho at confidence.princeton.edu
	609-987-2819 (messages)		eho at bogey.princeton.edu