Are there known problems with floating point/sqrt on sparcs?

Alan T. Krantz boulder!tigger!atk at ncar.ucar.edu
Tue Apr 10 00:54:41 AEST 1990

I have a numerical oriented program written in C which runs fine on sun3,
myrias, Decstations and Mips systems (I know - that's a subset of two
processors - 68020 and Mips ?R2000?). Anyway when I run the program on the
Sparc/sun 4/soulborne system I get "SQRT: DOMAIN ERROR". I haven't taken
the time to figure out exactly what is going on - but will begin to look
at it during the week. Anyways, I was wondering if there were some well
known floatpoint errors or differences between sun3 and sun4. (The sun3
are using 68881 and the Mips are using the mips floating point chip)..

Thanks,
Alan Krantz