Miscellaneous questions

Guy Harris guy at auspex.com
Thu Apr 12 04:22:16 AEST 1990

>3. As a former VMS user, I'm still looking for some way to implement the
>   up-arrow (command recall) feature in SunOS. By using the "^" and "!"
>   commands you can get the job done but it doesn't compare in convenience
>   sometimes when you just want to delete a garbage character you
>   accidentally threw on to the last command.
>
>[[Some shells support recall/edit of previous command lines, I _think_
>ksh is one of these. -bdg]]

"ksh" is definitely one of them; it has both EMACS-like and "vi"-like
editing modes.  I think "tcsh", which is distributed in the form of
patches to C shell source, is another.  "bash", the Bourne-Again Shell, is
another as well; it's a GNU program, and is Bourne shell compatible.

Another alternative might be Ken Almquist's "atty", which is a user-mode
tty driver that offers similar functionality; it runs a pseudo-tty and
runs your program in that pseudo-tty.  It's available in the
"comp.sources.unix" archive.