Deskset - problems/bugs/grips/thoughts

David Kuder david at indetech.com
Tue Apr 10 05:37:00 AEST 1990

In X-Sun-Spots-Digest: Volume 9, Issue 103, message 1 you write:
>I have been using a pre-FCS version of DeskSet for several weeks now, and
>confess that I really, really like it.  More than I ever thought I would.
>
>> Mailtool     : The you have new unread mail icon goes back to the no mail
>>                icon after 30 seconds
>
>I've never had this happen.

You apparently always hit the (Done) button while the gentleman with the
problem probably never does.  If you always dismiss the mailtool with
(Done) then the icon shows the state of the mail inbox correctly.  The
flag stays up.  If you just (Close) the mailtool, the icon will breify
raise the flag when new mail arrives but it drops it soon after.

While I'm thinking about it:  What do folks think of double clicking to
open?  I've finally trained my right index finger to double but my left
pinky now wants to double on (Close) which can close off more than
intended.

>The new calendar manager is interesting, but not quite as good as the
>public domain calentool, I think.  It does have excellent transparent
>sharing of other people's appointment files and such, though.

I think the new calendar manager is an improvement over the readily
available calentool on several counts.  It does a better job of displaying
things. The layout is better and the display speed is better.  It supports
the drag and drop mechanism including the ability to mail appointments.
Of course it is lacking the ability to include additional appointment
files (I kind of miss knowing when Mickey Rooney married Ava Gardner).
Also the sun and moon subwindows are missed since commuting by bicycle
requires knowledge of sunset and the fullness of the moon.  The solar and
lunar calendar support (particularly the religous bits) are also missed.
I might have missed Easter!  For the moment I'd have to say its push.  But
if everyone in the company switched to cm I think I'd have to tag along
with the crowd.

>As you can tell, I am a real fan of DeskSet.  For $295, you can't go
>wrong, especially since you are given an unlimited license, meaning one
>$295 copy can be used for an infinite number of machines at your site.
>The best part for us is that it lets us bring a lot of people up to speed
>on OPEN LOOK without having to switch to OpenWindows yet.

I too am a fan.  Way cool stuff.

____*_  David A. Kuder              david at indetech.com
\  / /  Independence Technologies   {sun,sharkey,pacbell}!indetech!david
 \/ /   42705 Lawrence Place        FAX: 415 438-2034
  \/    Fremont, CA 94538           Voice: 415 438-2003