PC-NFS printing problems

UCC at ecs.umass.edu UCC at ecs.umass.edu
Thu Apr 12 04:32:00 AEST 1990

We recently upgraded our three standalone SUN 3/140's from version 3.5os
to 4.0.3os.  These SUNS are also running PC-NFS, and are used as file
servers, and print servers for the various type PCs.  We are experiencing
intermittent problems mounting printers thru PC-NFS.  What happens is; the
spool directory for the PC always gets created, but the initial zero-byte
spooling files in it do not always get created.  When the files are
created, printing works fine.  When the files are absent, the output
returns to the screen of the PC.  This problem seems to get progressively
worse the longer the system has been up.  Occasionally, an error message
appears, when a net use is done stating "SYSTEM CANNOT READ PRINTER NAME
FROM REDIRECTOR".  Our time is running out on the problem, we may have to

Thanks
Pat Kochin, Staff Programmer
University of Massachusetts - Amherst University Computing Services
413-545-2690