Voice input for Suns

Eric Feingold erf at pluto.mipg.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 11 06:55:34 AEST 1990

I'm currently designing an application for a Sun-? that would greatly
benefit from a voice input device.  Ideally the voice input hardware would
take the form of a VME card or SCSI device as an interface.  I suppose
even a stand alone voice input system that interfaced through a serial
port would also be OK although I don't want to use a 80?86/PC with a voice
card as a voice sub-system (I'm afraid to depend on a DOS system for the
user input).  The application is relatively simple to control and will
only have a dozen or so commands.  The voice input software/hardware does
not have to decipher continuous speech.  Single word processing using
template matching will probably work fine.

Any leads on vendors selling hardware/software for voice processing on
Sun's or comments on your experience in this area would be greatly
appreciated.  We have device-driver experience in our group so I'd also be
interested in hardware solutions that are in need of interface software to
work on a Sun.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Feingold
erf at mipgsun.mipg.upenn.edu