newer Sparcstations lack headphone jacks

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Tue Apr 10 03:51:32 AEST 1990

>Newer Sparcstations lack headphone jacks.  A call to Sun confirmed that
>they had removed them; apparently they ran afoul of FCC emissions rules.
>So if you rely on those headphone jacks, watch out.  As the fine print
>says, ``Specifications are subject to change without notice.''  Good thing
>it wasn't the SCSI port!

Yup.  To quote the (or one of the) Read Me First document(s) for the SS1,
Part Number 800-4577-10:

The audio output jack, located at the back of the workstation, has been
removed.  However, you still have access to audio output by connecting the
appropriate equipment (such as a headphone, an audio amplifier, and so on)
to the audio input/output jack (din [sic] 8) located next to the defunct
audio output jack, with an audio input/output cable.  Sun's part number of
the audio input/output cable is 530-1594-XX.  This cable will be available
early in 1990.

Also, a company named CHI Designs (that's how it was spelled in the
"alt.sys.sun" posting that mentioned it) makes an input/output cable as
well (for all I know, that's the cable that Sun sells).  The I/O cable
lets you plug an input and an output source into the SS1.  CHI Designs'
phone number is +1 213 433 1245 (213 is the Los Angeles area).