Can SS-1 running 4.1 serve a 4.0.3 client ?

Operator moldev!rootksh at uunet.uu.net
Thu Apr 12 05:17:01 AEST 1990

I need your help to select a new file server.  We're a low budget
operation running a 3/50, a 3/80, and two 3/60 workstations.  Some folks
want to get one or two more workstations to add to the network.  In our
current configuration, everything has 8 megs installed, and the 3/80 is
the file server - it has three CDC SCSI disks attached. The clients run
much slower than the server - and it's not limited by the ethernet.

Now, we want to add one or two more workstations, and I'm afraid that a
poor 3/80 will be overloaded in server duty ( it is also used for
applications ).

My question is this: What's the benefit/pain ratio of switching to a
heterogeneous network, and putting a SS-1 in as a server ? We can afford
an SS-1 with 8-12 megs of memory, but we can't afford to buy a real
server.  Alternatively, we could get more 3/80 workstations, and plug in
additional memory. What tests can I do to find out what would help network
performance the most ?

Thanks,
George Pontis ( uunet!moldev!geo )