semaphores interacting with lockscreen(1)

charles.j.wilde wilde at cbnewsd.att.com
Thu Apr 12 08:24:42 AEST 1990

I've run into a problem with interaction between lockscreen(1) and
semaphores.  I've got a program running which attempts to decrement a
semaphore, and then waits for some other process to increment it.  If I
enter lockscreen at this point, when I come back and remove lockscreen,
the process waiting on the semaphore exits with an error, "system call
interrupted."  Apparently, the signal from lockscreen causes semop() to
fail due to EINTR, a signal interrupting the call.  Should signals from
lockscreen be interacting with user application semaphores?  Am I supposed
to handle signals like INT by ignoring them with signal(SIGINT, SIG_IGN)?
Any help on this matter would be appreciated.  This program is run on a
Sun 3 with OS 4.0.3.

Chuck Wilde
ihlpe!cjw