Why Buy I-P-I? SCSI is equally fast and 40% cheaper

Robert Claeson prc at erbe.se
Fri Apr 13 21:25:56 AEST 1990

In article <6582 at brazos.Rice.edu>, ekrell at ulysses.att.com writes:

: The Sun has 2 of these disks on the Sun IPI controller. The Solbourne has
: 2 of the SMD disks on the Xylogics 753 controller. Both systems have the
: same SPARC CPU and 32MB of memory and are running basically the same
: operating system (SunOS 4.0.3).

: Running disk I/O benchmarks reveals that the IPI controller is about 25%
: faster than the XY753 in writing data to the disk (reading times were
: comparable).

Another thing to remember is that 3 MB/sec pushes the limit of an SMD
interface. Sync SCSI can readily to 4 MB/sec, with 10 MB/sec interfaces
coming along (for 8 bit parallel transfers; 40 MB/sec with 32 bit
transfers).

          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson at erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB