automounter on diskless clients

Mike Ubell pigpen!mike at cs.utexas.edu
Sun Dec 30 12:04:00 AEST 1990

In article <736 at brchh104.bnr.ca> pdg at cs.uow.edu.au (Peter Gray) writes:

>I am having trouble getting automount to work on a diskless machine using
>the builtin hosts map.  Manual mounts and non-builtin maps work fine.
>
>Does anybody have automount working on a diskless machine with the builtin
>maps and did you have to do something special to get it to work? We are
>running NIS using netgroups to define export permissions on the servers.

Automount is a strange beast.  The -hosts option works everywhere but in
an indirect map that is an NIS file.  That is you can have a local file
with -hosts in it but not an NIS file.  I was told by Sun Support that
"its not supposed to work that way" If this is not your problem there is
probably something else you are doing that is "not supposed to work that
way".  We have found that several "obvious" things just don't work the way
they should.