YP: binding client to server not on same broadcast net

Alan Klietz aklietz at occam.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 12 05:02:30 AEST 1990

In article <4557 at brazos.Rice.edu> David.Maynard at K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
[about how to bind a client to a YP server on a remote subnet.]

I modified ypbind to consult a file containing a list of potential YP
servers in a manner similar to the /etc/resolv.conf file that BIND uses.
My /etc/ypserv.conf file looks like this,

domain ncsa
ypserver 128.174.23.1
ypserver 128.174.20.10

Each potential ypserver is polled.  If none is found, the first candidate
is polled again and so on round-robin.  A backoff algorithm is used to
reduce the number of polls after a given amount of time.  Works great.

Alan E. Klietz
Internet:  aklietz at ncsa.uiuc.edu