SunOS 3.5 Network Disk

dupuy at cs.columbia.edu dupuy at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Feb 24 05:00:58 AEST 1990

Ahhh, ND.  It's been a while, but I think there's a 3.5 Sun-3 server on
the net that I _still_ haven't upgraded (next week, I promise!:-).

All the answers lie in the file /etc/nd.local; here's a simple example:

#
# These lines added by the Sun Setup Program
#
# /pub /dev/ndp0
user 0 0 /dev/xy0e 0 -1 -1
user alpha 0 /dev/xy0c 493120 4020 0
user beta 0 /dev/xy0c 489100 4020 1
user alpha 1 /dev/xy0c 183580 48240 -1
user beta 1 /dev/xy0c 231820 48240 -1

The syntax is a bit confusing, but it is possible to decipher it.  The
first, "user 0" line describes the /dev/ndp0 partition (as it appears to
the diskless clients) or /dev/xy0e partition (as it appears to the
server).  On both server and clients, this partition is mounted as /pub
(server rw, clients ro).  This is the partition that you asked for, but I
suspect not the one you want, since it's so easy(?) to find.

The second, "user alpha 0" line describes the /dev/nd0 partition (as it
appears to the client alpha) and the /dev/ndl0 partition as it appears to
the server).  This is mounted (rw) on alpha as /, but isn't typically
mounted on the server.  You can mount it on the server but BE SURE THAT
YOU MOUNT IT RO if the client is running!  Otherwise the client and server
will confuse each other greatly, and probably scramble the filesystem.
The third "user beta 0" line describes a similar client root partition for
beta, but appears to the server as the /dev/ndl1 partition (that last
number on the line determines the ndl number).  The last two entries
describe the client swap areas (/dev/nd1) which are not accessible as ndl
partition on the server (last number is -1).  But since these swap areas
don't have filesystems, you can't mount them on the server anyhow.

I know you said no RTFMs, but perhaps with this explanation, a
reexamination of nd(8c) and your own nd.local file will prove
enlightening.

inet: dupuy at cs.columbia.edu
uucp: ...!rutgers!cs.columbia.edu!dupuy