sun cc

Dave Jones megatest!djones at decwrl.dec.com
Wed Feb 14 13:56:16 AEST 1990

>From article <4662 at brazos.Rice.edu>, by bobm at ee.rochester.edu (Bob Molyneaux):
> Consider 2 source files each with the following declaration at the top
>
> static int tempvar;
>
> One may accertain the address of the variable tempvar declared in file B.
> When B is compiled last, any assignment of tempvar in file A is stored in
> the address allocated in file B.  (ie. the two variables are but one.)

I've never seen this happen, and can not make it happen now with little
examples. I get two memory locations, just like I should:

    % nm a.out | grep tempvar
    00020cb4 b _tempvar
    00020cb8 b _tempvar

When I run it, the program does the right thing.

What you need to do is to get a small example program which messes up,
post it _exactly_, along with the type of machine, software version
number, etc...

If there is a problem, it is probably in the linker "ld", not in cc, but I
suspect you are overlooking a programming mistake.