Using DUMP on Exabyte on Sun 3/280

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Wed Feb 7 07:10:39 AEST 1990

In article <4618 at brazos.Rice.edu>, heiser at sud509 writes:
| This message is addressed to anyone who uses an Exabyte on a Sun 3/280
| (SunOS4.0.3).  What parameters have you found to work best (for correctly
| determining tape length, blocking factor for quickest operation, etc) for
| backing up to the Exabyte using 'dump'?
|
| Thanks in advance!

Here it is, stolen directly out of a handful of Perl scripts that I use to
back up 16GB of disk in 146 filesystems across 30 machines to any one of
13 Exabyte drives...

dump ${level}dsbf 43000 12000 64 - $device | dd of=/dev/nrst1 obs=64b

where $level is like "0u", and $device is the device to be dumped, like
"/dev/xd2c".  The "dd" command is possibly on a different system via rsh,
which is why I have the pipe and dd.

I don't know where I got the numbers... I think the local rep gave them to
me.  Also, I have found 64 to be a reasonable compromise between speed and
running out of buffers on one of our heavily used machines.

Just another sysadm,
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |
| merlyn at iwarp.intel.com ...!any-MX-mailer-like-uunet!iwarp.intel.com!merlyn |
\=Cute Quote: "Welcome to Portland, Oregon, home of the California Raisins!"=/