definition of AUTH_UNIX

Eric Wassenaar e07 at nikhefh.nikhef.nl
Sat Feb 3 00:27:19 AEST 1990

The rules for permission checking in NFS transactions are rather vaguely
described in the SUN documentation about NFS. It is stated that "the NFS
server is expected to perform AUTH_UNIX style of authentication checking".
As far as I can find out, this means that credentials like uid/gid, and
groups, are passed from the client to the server to be used in the
permission checking on the server host.  Or is there something more to it
? Specifically, does AUTH_UNIX require that the NFS server ensures the
existence of the client uid/gid in the /etc/passwd file on the server host
? (assume no yellow pages) Where can I find the proper definition of
AUTH_UNIX ?

Eric Wassenaar

Address: Kruislaan 409, P.O. Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Phone: +31 20 592 0412, Home: +31 20 909449, Telefax: +31 20 592 5155
Internet: e07 at nikhef.nl