SUNOS 3.4 problem

NRAO Array Operations Center nraoaoc at jupiter.nmt.edu
Fri Feb 16 05:34:48 AEST 1990

In article <4828 at brazos.Rice.edu> iand at labtam.oz.au (Ian Donaldson) writes:

>We had a network of Wellfleet routers and Suns set up at RMIT and found
>that the SunOS 3.5 ping command didn't obey normal routing rules.

SunOS 3.5 had a buggy ping. There was a patch for the problem, but it
could only be used on servers and standalone systems, i.e. not diskless
clients running ND (at least, the patch we got).

Vastly improved subnet support was added in 4.0[.x]. If you (the original
poster running 3.4 and different subnets on the same wire) don't have any
software holding you back (e.g. drivers for non-Sun devices) it would be a
good idea to upgrade if you are running complex subnetting.

Ruth Milner                                       NRAO/VLA, Socorro NM

   I am posting from a shared guest account. Please send mail only to:
                 rmilner at cholla.aoc.nrao.edu  (Internet)