Imagen and Mac and Sun

Morris Katz mkatz at Sesame.Stanford.EDU
Fri Feb 9 06:19:36 AEST 1990

In article <4670 at brazos.Rice.edu>, carlo at cvs (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>We have a Sun network spooling stuff to an Imagen printer, which we would
>like to be a printer for our Mac. Does anyone out there know if it's
>possible in any way to connect the Mac's printer port to the Sun's serial
>port and make the Sun spool stuff to the Imagen on behalf of the Mac? Any
>solution would be welcome, software as well as hardware.

Assuming you have your Macs and your Sun both connected to the same net,
there is a public domain solution.  You will either need all devices an
ethernet (i.e., ethertalk boards in your Macs) or an ethernet to localtalk
gateway (e.g., a kinetics fastpath box).  You can then run KIP and CAP.
The combination of these two packages enables you Sun to talk appletalk
protocols and the CAP package includes a program LWSRV which is a virtual
LaserWriter that is made available to the Macs but spools to the Sun.