Screendump Problems

Michael S. Maiten ensys!msm at uunet.uu.net
Thu Feb 8 06:20:55 AEST 1990

In SUN SPOTS DIGEST v9n28, it was asked:
>From:    MCMILLAN at gmr.com
>
>I'm tying to get my screendump (and also the network's dumpregion) to work
>on my 3/60 color system.  The screendump results in a WRONG color map, and
>no text in tty windows.  Dumpregion is similar, but with the correct color
>map (i think).  I've done nothing special to my system (i.e., it's all
>factory specs).

I have also encountered this problem and reported it to SUN.

It is officially bug #1014161 which is that screendump does not work
properly with a cgfour device.  It can either dump color or the overlay
plane, but not both.  Sun said that it is fixed in OS 4.1, but there is no
patch for 4.0.3.  A work around is to run suntools entirely in the color
plane (-8bit_color_only) but this results in everything running slower.
If you did not need the color displayed nor dumped, you could run
everything in the overlay plane (-overlay_only).

Michael S. Maiten                 Internet:    msm%ensys at bridge2.esd.3com.com
Energetic Systems                       or:    msm%ensys at silvlis.com
Telephone: +1 415 964-9746        UUCP:        {sun!silvlis,bridge2}!ensys!msm