XY753 on 4/330

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Thu Feb 8 15:07:56 AEST 1990

Since this subject was brought up a while back, and I don't think there
was a definite answer from someone really knowledgeable, I am posting this
just after performing such an installation.

Actually, it worked quite well, I put the XY753 (6U VME board) into slot
5. Do not try putting it into slot 4, there is a metal lip which is part
of the frame that will short out the back side of the controller. Besides,
in slot 5, there are no jumper to worry about.

I am still not sure about the power supply problem, Sun should have it
fixed about now, so new systems should be OK. There was supposed to be a
spare part that can be purchased for older systems to upgrade the power
supply, check with you salesman.

Contrary to what I remember somebody posting before about the 4/330 boot
rom not being able to boot from the drive (XD), this is false. The CPU
board is EXACTLY the same as that in a 4/370, and it boots fine off XD0.

So, if you are looking for a way to not pay Sun's high prices for mass
storage, this is it.

Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254